Old December 21st 08, 05:58 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default December Cold in Minnesota

Andrew Muzi wrote:
Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,
Jorg Lueke wrote:

On Dec 20, 1:08 am, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,
Johnny Borborigmi wrote:

On Dec 18, 2:05 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
Well, as you can tell, I am starting to go crazy from the cold.
Any of you who are living in more moderate climes should count
your blessings. Right about now, I would give my soul for a little
warmth. My advice to anyone reading these forlorn words of mine is
that if you are still young make it your life's work to find a
decent climate to live in. You do not want to end up like me,
cursing the weather every day of your life.
Well We're getting hammered right now with a big storm here in NY.
7+ inches so far. Probably 9-10 before it's over. It's 20 degrees
F. currently as I type this. No bike riding for me!
Minnesota is in line for getting it tomorrow- 6-10" here and up to
12" towards the Iowa border. On the upside, we've been in a drought
for a long time and are still 7-8" short on rainfall over much of
the state, so this will be helpful for the 2009 growing season.

My bikes are put away in the winter. Even with studded tires, it's
no fun riding when you're surrounded by ground missiles that are
barely under the control of their operators. The standards of
winter driving around here have been declining for years- a
combination of an aging population, a significant influxleas of
people seeing snow for the first times in their lives, and repeated
budget cutting for road repair and maintenance because low taxes are
more important than a functioning infrastructure...
At least 6" so far, next comes the wind and the sub zero temps :-) I
think I will skip the Timberwolves game, but it's good sledding weather.

I went to a jazz workshop at 12:30 and it was a minor slog over snow
covered roads and highways (I-94 and I-35W), but not too bad. I did
see that there were four or five cars that had spun off the road,
collided, etc. on eastbound I-94 between the Mississippi River bridge
and Cretin-Vandalia in St. Paul. At 4:15 when I left the workshop to
go home, the wind had picked up and the temperatures felt much colder-
it's dropped 13 degrees F since 1:00PM to 8F now, and will be dropping
to 2F tonight and -14F tomorrow night. Sigh. I'm not a real
Minnesotan and I don't enjoy this stuff.

We get your 'used' weather a few hours later.

But no "lake effect" snow being "well inland" [1].

[1] More than about a 20 minute bike ride from Lake Michigan.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll