Old October 5th 03, 08:48 PM

Default "The Stability of the Bicycle"

anonymous writes:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~fajans.../bicycles.html

or: http://tinyurl.com/pswa

I read it last night, it is a great article.

I can't imagine you read all that because it wallows around endlessly
in unclear descriptions of what was tried and what results he got.
For instance, try to find whether the bicycle with a counter-rotation
wheel next to the front wheel was controllable riding no-hands and
how it was different. I read that part several times and am still
unclear about what he found.

There are a few simple tests that he didn't do, one of which is to
wheel the bicycle along a walking speed holding on to the saddle only.
Most bicyclists have done this and those who were interested will note
that it works by gyroscopic force and not working at all with no
wheel rotation.

It is this kind of omission and the wandering prose that give this
report minimal credibility for me.

Jobst Brandt