Old September 6th 05, 07:25 PM
Danny Colyer

Default A Sustrans dilemma

tom wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't entirely clear. I'm not pro-barriers per se, but I can see
the reasoning for them being there. Personally I'd like to see (and I'd be
interested to see more info in this subject..) barriers which do work, ie
which could allow more utility accessories you mention, as well as other
path users (tandem, trike etc.).

I'm not sure how much we can blame Sustrans for barriers that are put in
by local authorities. Current Sustrans guidelines actually state:
"It is important ... to open all the controls ... so that a recumbent
cyclist, for instance, does not get part way along and find their way
barred..."
URL:http://www.sustrans.org/webfiles/Info%20sheets/ff22.pdf

and:
"There should be a presumption against the use of any access barriers on
a shared use path because of the difficulties they can cause users."
URL:http://www.sustrans.org/webfiles/Info%20sheets/ff04.pdf

The Sustrans guidelines changed a few years ago, though. Prior to that
they were all in favour of the sort of barriers that prevent legitimate
users from using the path. We are still left with the legacy of those
guidelines, in the form of barriers that were installed years ago, and I
wouldn't be surprised if some local authorities are still working with
the old guidelines.

Most of the barriers along the Bath-Bristol path were modified a few
years ago, making them easier to get through. There are still 3 that I
can't get through towing a trailer. They all have RADAR gates
alongside, so I expected going out for a family ride to become easier
once I acquired a RADAR key. Unfortunately the gates were rusted shut,
so the key made no difference - until, a couple of weeks after I
happened to mention the Disability Discrimination Act in an e-mail to
the council, the gates received some much needed maintenance. Riding to
Bath with the kids is now a lot easier.

BTW, another Sustrans guidance sheet states that RADAR gates:
"are unlikely to be acceptable under the [Disability Discrimination] Act
since many disabled people find them impossible or extremely difficult
to use. Consequently they should not be considered to be a 'reasonable'
alternative.
URL:http://www.sustrans.org/webfiles/scotland/FF42%20-%20Making%20traffic%20free%20paths%20more%20access ible.pdf

The ideal situation is more policing, which would be excellent.

Unfortunately that would mean that the police would actually have to do
some work to justify the year-on-year increases in funding that they
request from our council tax. I can't see it happening, somehow :-(

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/