Old September 5th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon[_2_]

Default BikeE?

"Chalo" wrote
Jon wrote:

Chalo wrote:
to say nothing of reliable, for an actual cyclist.

What is an "actual cyclist"?

Someone who actually rides actual bicycles, often and long enough to
have a good sense of what a bike actually does.

How about more than 15,000 miles of recumbent cycling?
Is that an actual cyclist?

But you tell me, what does a bike "actually do"?

How was BikeE design not reliable? (implementation had its
glitches with some recalls for forks and swing arms, etc...)

It is reliable in that you know with absolute certainty that you are
completely hosed if your hands leave the grips for a fraction of a
second.

How come my son and wife, and many other riders have fallen
for exactly that reason on while riding upright bikes?

That much I know from trying to make a BikeE CT my around-
town transportation during my first stay in Seattle.

I'm certainly willing to believe that for some people, perhaps
many, for some applications, a BikeE CT wouldn't be the best
bike. All bicycle designs represent compromises. Are there
upright bike designs better suited for self supported touring
than others? Are there upright bike designs better suited
for gravel roads or muddy trails than others?

Where do you "tweak" a bike that handles like you're
trying to ride it backwards?

I never experienced a feeling of "handles like you're
trying to ride it backwards" on my BikeE.

Again you offer no meainingful support for the assertion
that the BikeE "handles like you're trying to ride it backwards".
If there were true, how is that so many people found it so
easy to ride mine the first time without any problems?

distinction between a bike that _can_ be ridden and a bike
that rides well.

The BikeE has different handling characteristics than an upright
bike. I can and did ride it well for a number of years as my
only bike. And I still do ride mine. For a jump on and go
bicycle, for short errands, 4-5 miles, it's hard to beat. For
self-supported touring, it's not my first choice, my Tour
Easy is. For 60 mile hilly rides, the BikeE is not my first
choice, my Voale is. But I did self-supported weekend
tours with my BikeE and I road it on many long rides with
upright riding friends.

The BikeE can be ridden. So can these bikes:

http://dclxvi.org/chunk/meet/springy/index.html

Ok, so now I know you're not serious.

Of my three recumbents, the BikeE has the best low-speed tight
handling characteristics.

That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? "Of my three genital
piercings, the Prince Albert is the most comfortable and
convenient."

Once again, a demonstration of your intent to avoid actual
discussion.

You assert the BikeE is an unqualified failed design
inspired by non-cyclists, but the only substantiation you
can offer is that the BikeE cannot be ridden hands free?

Come on. I *like* the BikeE and I can make better
design criticisms than that! Nothing, however, that
makes it not fun, not functional, or not reliable, though.

Jon