Old July 21st 19, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Cleaning of chain and all components

On 21/07/2019 17:08, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 2:04:30 AM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

You mean riding in gorgeous sunshine? Listening to the
Mid-Westerners complain about the heat, I feel guilty. Nice spin
through the countryside today with a ferry ride.
https://bikeportland.org/wp-content/...65a1037e_o.jpg
Probably 80F. I got to the ferry, and it was pulling out. The
operator saw me and stopped, backed up, dropped the gate and let
me on. It was great. There were a couple other racer-dudes on
the ferry with really nice equipment, except for one of them had
an MP3 player and was blaring Grateful Dead. I let them get down
the road a ways. Why must people blare music?

32c here today with a humidex over 40. But oddly enough the 35km/h
winds must have had an evaporative effect because it wasn’t awful.
Nasty thunderstorms lurking though.

Anyway, I decided to give the Trek a nice cleaning on the
washstand. My favorite modern invention are Costco exam gloves
so I can use my finger as a goop lathe on the pulley wheels and
chainrings. I use the Park brush and scraper on the cassettes
and a stiff bristle parts brush on the chain with Simple Green
and hose spray. I flush it with WD40 and rag dry before adding
lubricant which is pedestrian TriFlo because I have a bunch of
it. I got my washstand on supersale at Western.
https://static.westernbikeworks.com/...0/ffspr2-1.jpg

You can spin the bike around which is convenient.

Speaking of, maintenance of non-bike things is important too,
like sticky fold-out legs on washstands. I also check my clown
pump to make sure it is not seized or has a bad gasket or needs
lube.

Had my co2 adapter blow out the o ring trying to fill a friend’s
tire. I’m supposed to lube that a bit occasionally but I haven’t
had a flat in 2 years so out of sight out of mind.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- duane

The "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" (John Keats, To Autumn,
1820) in the "green and beloved isle" (?) is characterized at
present, generally, often, always when I want to cycle, by a
persistent, ultimately drenching drizzle called "a soft day"
(traditional lie taken up by the Tourist Board) driven by the wind
from whichever point of the compass the cyclist's head turns.

Andre Jute I'm not a duck!

Keats? We talking about the same chap that wrote a poem about a lass
digging up her boyfriends body, cutting the head off and putting it in a
pot to grow basil? Soon after which she goes stark staring mad, as
obviously the first bit is perfectly normal, rational behavior.