Old October 6th 03, 04:11 AM
johnfoss

Default New Torker: My first attempts trying to ride...

Carl Barrentine wrote:
*making some progress, though I have to concentrate pretty hard--so
much that I was pretty perspirey after each session--*

As with any new physical skill, especially when it involves moving your
whole body, it takes a while for you to figure out which muscles you
need, and how much you need of each. As you get better, you'll be able
to focus down and have a nice, relaxing ride. But it will always take a
little more (physical + mental) effort on the unicycle, because you have
to cover everything that's not covered when you have two wheels and the
ability to coast.

*Here's the question: Is there a preferred or recommended way that I
should place my feet on the pedals to maximize balance, control, and
smooth cadence?*

All the best riders use the balls of their feet over the pedal axle,
except for in some specialized situations, such as extreme hills. But
for the beginner, this doesn't really matter. Until you get where you
can toddle around, put your feet wherever they are comfortable.

*My sense is that riding this contraption is heaps harder than riding
my track bike--*

I assume your track bike has two wheels?

Riding a track bike gets you used to the concept of a fixed gear, but
the gearing is miles away from the leverage you have on a unicycle. Plus
that whole one-wheeled thing...

Sounds like you're doing just fine. For "a youth of 51," I think you're
way ahead of the learning curve! Adults tend to analyze too much, when
all you really need to do is keep trial-and-erroring.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married