Old September 23rd 04, 05:01 PM
Edward Dolan

"Lars S. Mulford" wrote in message
news:5Ky4d.3320$fa.2184@trndny09...
"Edward Dolan" wrote

"Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent"

Howdy Ed and others:

You're wrong on the above comment. Not only do I have two children who
are
active bent riders, but they are girls. The love their bikes and get a
real
kick out of whupping up on the young lads in our neighborhood who try to
keep up with them. At least where I'm from here in lower Delaware,
recumbent bikes are on a popular upswing and now when I ride every day, I
see at least another one every time out. For an area as rural as this, I
think that's terrific.

In direct contrast to the comment you made above, there are significant
numbers of young ones who are riding in our area. Perhaps it is an issue
of
demographics or the like, but they're popular here, both with young and
old
alike.

Lars, I have known of exactly two kids hereabouts over a period of 25 years
who got recumbents as they thought it would be a good idea at the time.
However, they did not keep them long as the rest of the kids made life
fairly miserable for them no doubt. Kids are the most peer oriented group in
the universe and they want to do what all the other kids are doing all the
time. Until the bike culture of the kids change, I do not ever foresee any
kids or other young folks taking to recumbents. It is only us older folks
who can go against the grain.

Nevertheless, it is good to hear of occasional exceptions. On my tours, I
too have noted that it is more often a girl rather than a boy who is mostly
likely to have a recumbent. In every instance that I have investigated, it
was always a family influenced thing. Usually the father was into
recumbents, and the wife and kids followed. It is extremely rare to ever see
a young person on a recumbent.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota