Old August 17th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ron Wallenfang

Default Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

I have a rather different take. The maps are fine; it's the routes I didn't
especially like. IMHO, their routes take too many secondary roads that, on
the whole, are rougher, hillier, more bereft of services, and with a greater
incidence of aggressive dogs, than the US highways I prefer. That's a big
price to pay to get reduced traffic, and I'm far from convinced it's any
safer, because the US highways usually have at least partially paved
shoulders. My "ideal" route is a US highway running rather near an
Interstate. The I road gets the thru traffic, the US highway is still a
good road, the width of the right of way and amount of traffic deters dogs,
and the motels and other services at the I-exits are readily accessible.

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
ups.com...

They're printed on plain paper! And they're so small, and packed with
somewhat superfluous info (who the hell cares about restaurants along
the way, really).

Just disappointed. They should be laminated, at the least, or printed
on sturdier paper -- this is for touring, after all! Also, they really
should be bigger -- perhaps better as a spiral-bound book? And more
comprehensive -- I find googlemaps more useful!