Old April 12th 08, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Campbell

Default Remove forks from Carlton Corsa bike

RG wrote:
"Jonathan Campbell" wrote in message
I have the carcass of a Carlton Corsa (1970-ish) bike from which I want to

[...]
the bearing cups out - and there's even a tool for the purpose ... but have
a look at my briefings at www.beewee.org.uk for some tips and ideas on
working with old bikes.

Nice selection of bikes. Makes me sort of regretful about discarding the
Corsair --- but, for various reasons, it had lain outside for many
years; moreover I'm lazy.

Looks like we had the same Triang trike. I think I got mine Christmas
1953. Managed to tip myself off it soon later by attempting an
impossibly sharp turn --- I put that down as my earliest memory.

The forks remind of another awful moment. I had just been given a
Raleigh Blue Streak --- my first drop handlebars bike, though nothing
really sporting about it. A friend was visiting (the awkwardest man who
ever grew breath and remains so to this day, though still a good friend)
and he presuaded me to give him a ride on the Blue Streak. So off he
went, down a hill; the hill had a corner in the middle; awkward friend
couldn't find the brakes ... into a hedge and then a wall ... many
thorns in friend, forks bent on bike. Friendship greatly tested.

Could that Blue Streak have really cost £19 and some pence? (In 1963).

Best regards,

Jon C.