Old July 26th 18, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default JOURNEY OF A LIFETIME

On 25/07/18 17:42, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 4:19:57 PM UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

How much was actually donated? I am always suspicious of these
charity rides since they often mean 'pay for our holiday and we
will give whats left over to charity.'

I once enquired about a BHF ride in some foreign land. They require that
the holiday is paid upfront and a minimum raised. I think most people
self fund. I don't remember whether anything can be claimed back if an
amount substantially above the minimum is raised.

I plan to fly first class from London to New York, rent a luxury car
and drive to Los Angeles staying in 5* Hotels along the way then fly
first class back to London. Give me some money and if there is
anything left I will give it to charity.

There are enough funding sites so why not give it a try? Tell the
punters you are going to swim across and then hand walk overland. (Your
real plan would probably be cheaper and leave more to the charity.)
Though I guess you might get into hot water if you lied about your
intentions.