Old April 18th 21, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default I am that out of date

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 14:16:58 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 16:16:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Now I am aware of them new fangled high tech bamboo bikes, but other
than that, I don't think bicycles will be too flammable. Metal doesn't
burn too well. Although I think I have seen some YouTube videos of some
metal that does catch fire and burn really hot. But I don't think bikes
are made out of that special metal. I'm guessing that special metal
might also cost a whole lot. And $100k bikes won't sell too well.

Sounds like a magnesium bicycle frame:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnesium+bicycle+frame&tbm=isch
Magnesium burns VERY well.

All metals burn - some more quickly than others. Grind any metal bike
component into a fine enough power and add sufficient heat and Oxygen and
it’ll burn.

True. Burning is just rapid oxidation. However, I would have a
problem with presenting slow rusting of iron as burning. What
distinguishes burning from rusting is that burning produces
considerable light and is often exothermic producing additional heat
which sustains the oxidation reaction. The reaction also occurs
rapidly. Grinding a metal bicycle into dust increases the surface
area of the metal available for oxidation. That makes the metal
oxidize more rapidly, eventually resulting in something that resembles
a bright flash or burning.

Fun with magnesium:
"The Hazards of Polishing Magnesium can cause Fires"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWoVo-aQ2tg
Note that magnesium valve cover is not burning, only the finely
divided powder is burning. That means you can have a nice shinny
magnesium bicycle frame, if you give burning shavings as offerings to
the gods.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272