Old April 20th 21, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default I am that out of date

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 11:12:14 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 11:52:56 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/17/2021 11:59 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 16:16:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Now I am aware of them new fangled high tech bamboo bikes, but other than that, I don't think bicycles will be too flammable. Metal doesn't burn too well. Although I think I have seen some YouTube videos of some metal that does catch fire and burn really hot. But I don't think bikes are made out of that special metal. I'm guessing that special metal might also cost a whole lot. And $100k bikes won't sell too well.

Sounds like a magnesium bicycle frame:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnesium+bicycle+frame&tbm=isch
Magnesium burns VERY well.

Well, that depends. If you're talking about components of reasonable
thickness, some magnesium alloys can burn under certain circumstances,
while others are more resistant.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...b9EItpV4Srzeyj

Original Volkswagens had magnesium alloy crankcases, and nobody worries
excessively about them catching fire.

OTOH, a strip of pure magnesium foil is really easy to burn, and it
burns very brightly indeed. Same is true of chips, I've heard.

BTW, titanium chips can also burn and are very hard to extinguish. A
machinist I knew once had that experience. But it's not a huge hazard in
my limited experience. We had a student team who, for their first lathe
project, mistakenly grabbed a 2" bar of titanium instead of mild steel.

Seems to me the weight difference should have tipped him off that he had the wrong stuff

No kidding --- and imagine the difference in lab fees. Dang. The scrap heap at my metals class didn't include Ti. You had to bring that from home.

-- Jay Beattie.