Old August 20th 16, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.rec.driving
Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_2_]

Default Ride report

On 8/18/2016 7:04 AM, JNugent wrote:
On 18/08/2016 13:30, NY wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
On 18/08/2016 09:11, Bod wrote:

On 18/08/2016 09:02, Alycidon wrote:
On Thursday, 18 August 2016 00:44:51 UTC+1, Nick wrote:

Oh, the fatal accident, another one of those motorist crashes into
shop
types.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/bromley/14682760.Woman_injured_in_Petts_Wood_charity_shop_ crash_dies_in_hospital/

Cheers - don't think we've had a ride report for about 15 years!

Seems a weekly occurrence when a driver crashes into a building , even
pedestrians on the pavements etc.

More appropriate NGs.

Very sad when this happens. I wonder if the car was an automatic. I
wonder if the driver accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the
brake and then didn't have the quick reactions of a younger person to
realise what they'd done and to change feet to the brake pedal.

With a manual car, there is the chance if you were slowing down that
you'd be in the wrong gear for accelerating, so pressing the accelerator
would stall the engine, whereas an automatic would just change down.

I've sometimes wondered whether automatics and elderly people don't mix
- which is ironic since autos are generally easier for elderly people
who may have poorer coordination (eg between clutch and accelerator).

I am not a fan of automatics, though unfortunately, in the USA (which is
where I do do most of my renting), there are no manual transmission cars
available, except for the odd piece of exotica which is out of my price
range.

I could lend you Ol' Bessie for a modicum price.