Old January 19th 18, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default not enough standards

On 2018-01-19 12:08, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 11:01:02 AM UTC-8, Emanuel Berg
wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

ancient wisdom: "The crap we sold you last year is no good.
Here's the new one."

Is this the reason for the new standards all the time?

And if there are new standards all the time, are they really
standards?

Only if there is someone around to witness the standard. Otherwise
it does not exist.

Some things develop into de facto standards without any officials to
witness. At least in my world of electronics.

Some standard changes are necessary for "progress" to occur -- like
the switch from 5sp 120mm rear road hubs to 135mm standard for 11sp
disc. But then you get all the odd-ball through axle dimensions,
including Specialized's proprietary SCS dimensions that lock you into
certain wheels. You better like Roval.

There is a new standard (135mm/12mm) for through axle road rear which
seems to be sticking, but then there are a bunch of variations -- so
in shopping for a bike, you have to decide whether you want to get
stuck on the proprietary merry-go-round.

Proprietary would be a red flag for me.

Other changes are less defensible like BB[fill in the blank]. At
least pedal threads have stayed the same, except for DuraAce AX. I
like modern headsets. Bars have settled on 31.8 -- except if you buy
an uber-bike with an all-in-one bar/stem combo, then you're stuck.

What I don't get is the 1X craze on road bikes.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aqua...train-in-2018/

There is the same nonsense on MTBs. I saw one that a dealer just
modified 12-speed or so with 50T in there. IIRC the cassette cost north
of $350. Some people seem to have money burning their pockets so badly
that they need to get rid of it fast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/