Old July 23rd 03, 01:35 AM

Default Sports nutrition books?

What about fiber? True, it's counted as a "carb" in the U.S.

Dunno what the minimum recommended daily amount is . . . I go pretty much by
what keeps "things" flowing smoothly, and when it doesn't, I do a couple
spoons of psyllium fiber with OJ. Just had my physical results today, and
the doc says I'm in perfect health, 'cept for a few zits. So, I guess I've
got the fiber thing down with oatmeal, whole grain breads, and the
occasional door-to-door Jehovah's Witness.
(jk) Again, what's optimal for the original poster will depend on his own
system (there ain't no such thing as a 'one size fits all' nutritional
regimine), and he'll have to tweak it, pay attention to his body, to get it
right for him.

Personally, I don't think that saturated fats are bad. See, for instance:
http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm

Yah, well, I'm under the impression that it's best to keep the saturated
fats to a minimum in favor of fats like what's in fish oils & etc. I guess
you know what works best for you . . .

Hmmm....last time I checked, sugar was low in glycemic index. For
instance, sugar is about 60 on the glycemic index, while brown rice is
about 66 (higher numbers are worse for blood sugar). See:
http://diabetes.about.com/library/me...i/ngilists.htm

Yah, well, I know I'm no expert in the glycemic index stuff, it's been a
while since I had to fiddle with the numbers to find what works for me.
Which is why I suggested to the original poster that he find a good resource
for himself. Thanks (for both of us) for posting one . . .

Basically, select vegetables and some fruits over pasta, rice, potatoes,
and others.

Yes, true. And if you need some concentrated carbs, no real harm in some
whole grain bread or brown rice . . . no need to get anal over all this,
unless it's somehow one's karma . . .

I use a low carb diet, so I eat about 60% fat, 30% protein and 10% carbs.
I bike about 7 hours a week.

Ok . . .

--Tock