Old July 24th 03, 12:37 AM
Steven Goodridge

Default Entering the queue at a stop sign

"Roly Poly Man" wrote in message
om...
On the other hand, I can't see a cyclist entering the queue with
vehicles. At least I don't think I've ever seen this done.

I always get into the queue at a stop sign. It's first come, first served.
If there is a right-turn-only lane, it's especially important to get into
the correct lane so that traffic is sorted properly based on destination. I
want right-turning drivers to pass to my right if I am not going that way.
Destination positioning is more important than anything else at
intersections.

Also, what is the proper way to make a left turn at a typical
busy 4-lane or 6-lane boulevard? Do you keep to the right and
make two crossings?

If I can find a good traffic gap, I merge all the way to the left (near the
center of the road) in preparation to get into the left turn lane. If I
don't feel comfortable doing this, I go straight and get off the bike to
cross the street as a pedestrian, or at least to dismount to replace the
bike in the correct lane to proceed from the cross street.

Steve Goodridge
http://humantransport.org/bicycledriving/