Old July 24th 03, 02:01 AM
Eric S. Sande

Default Entering the queue at a stop sign

As a novice biker, I am curious what you are supposed to do when there
is a stop sign with about 5 to 10 vehicles lined up to get their turn.

It depends on the conditions. Filtering is legal on either side
where I ride (DC) but that doesn't mean it's smart. Ninety percent
of the time I'll queue with the other vehicles.

Since I mostly ride in the city center at rush hour (commuting)
there is little or no speed differential involved. There is a
significant acceleration differential, though. I'll get cars
that swerve around me only to come to a complete stop half a block
later. Pointless waste of energy.

Most of the time I have seen cyclists fly by all the traffic right
up to the stop sign. Isn't this kind of dangerous?

Yep.

I know it's not proper to pass traffic on the right, and I have
often seen a car suddenly pull out (which would be into a cyclist)
using a lane, gravel shoulder, etc to make an impromptu right turn.

Yep.

On the other hand, I can't see a cyclist entering the queue with
vehicles. At least I don't think I've ever seen this done.

It's regularly done by me, but I'm an obnoxious VC Nazi. :-)

Also, what is the proper way to make a left turn at a typical
busy 4-lane or 6-lane boulevard? Do you keep to the right and
make two crossings?

Merge left one lane at a time and keep checking six. Well
ahead of the intersection. Set up the turn as you would in a
car. Better yet, plan ahead and be in the correct lane from
the beginning. Use a lot of hand signals.

Practice on a deserted road like a city center arterial, on
a Sunday or at night. Preferably the same route you intend to
ride in prime time. It really helps to know the hazards before
you encounter them in full on traffic.

The goal is to minimize the surprise factor.

ANY road situation can be mastered by good intelligence, strategy
and tactics. And anyone can learn this approach.

--

------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------