Old July 24th 03, 02:31 AM
David L. Johnson

Default Entering the queue at a stop sign

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:53:55 +0000, Roly Poly Man wrote:

As a novice biker, I am curious what you are supposed to do when there is
a stop sign with about 5 to 10 vehicles lined up to get their turn.

What is wrong with joining the line?

Most of the time I have seen cyclists fly by all the traffic right up to
the stop sign. Isn't this kind of dangerous?

Yes -- if there is no clear provision for cyclists.

On the other hand, I can't see a cyclist entering the queue with vehicles.
At least I don't think I've ever seen this done.

Why not? If you wanted to be treated like part of the traffic rather than
something blocking traffic, treat yourself like part of the traffic.

Also, what is the proper way to make a left turn at a typical busy 4-lane
or 6-lane boulevard? Do you keep to the right and make two crossings?

That's what left-turn lanes are for.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | We have a record of conquest, colonization and expansion
_`\(,_ | unequalled by any people in the Nineteenth Century. We are not
(_)/ (_) | to be curbed now. --Henry Cabot Lodge, 1895