Old July 28th 03, 06:54 AM
St Canard

Default From NYTimes about the Tour/ Lance Broken Frame?

In article , Chris Neary wrote:
I guess Lance can throw away a bike after every crash, but if
the OCLV can fail so easily then I think those of us who have to purchase
our own equipment would be very wary of them.

Two points:

1) There are a *lot* of OCLV bikes on the road, and stories of frame
failures are rare (I personally crashed mine in a paceline going nearly 30
MPH with nothing more than paint damage).

2) If is likely a frame failure such as that described could be repaired for
a fraction of the cost of a new frame.

3) See how well your light bike handles someone riding over the
chainstay as it's going down.

General consensus is that the crack was not caused by the crash, but
more likely by Mayo riding over top of the bike because he couldn't
get out of the way.

Plus, he was riding a prototype 5900 at the time, not the Madone he
had started with. One where they had been doing some playing with the
chainstays to lighten it.

Wanna bet the finished version will have a slight redesign in that
area?

--
"Divide by cucumber error, please reinstall Universe and reboot"
-- Terry Pratchett, _Hogfather_