Old July 28th 03, 11:58 PM
Chalo

Default best internal shifting hub?

Khoomei wrote:

What is the best internal shifting hub on these important points:
- reasonably lightweight compared to a road group
- reliable operation
- parts are available from the usual channels, not some guy working
out of his garage.
- has more than 3 speeds.

It seems like all gearhubs from 4 to 14 speeds weigh about the same
1.7 kg, give or take. With some you get a brake, making those
effectively a little lighter.

Only the Rohloff Speedhub gives step sizes between gears that compare
to a road group. However, Sachs's and Shimano's 7 speed hubs give
overall ranges similar to that of a road bike. (Road bike with 53/39
crank and 12-23 block: 260% Sachs/SRAM 7 speed: 303% Shimano Nexus
7-speed: 244%)

If you need lots of gearing range and you can afford the Rohloff, then
that's the one for you. I have had two, and I don't think anyone
would find reason to switch back once accustomed to the Rohloff.

If the price of the Rohloff is too much committment and/or you would
like a drum brake, I recommend the Sachs/SRAM Spectro 7 speed. It is
the most free-running gearhub (with more than 3 speeds) I have used,
it seems quite durable, and the brake works consistently with minimal
fade.

Chalo Colina