Old July 29th 03, 01:35 PM
Art Winterbauer

Default Belgium/Netherlands touring bikes

Thanks, Doug. (Now I wish I spoke Dutch)

Doug Purdy wrote:

Look at the hybrids in a few bike stores. Some even have the mid fork
lowrider brazeons.

But I never did understand how and old fashioned configuration got called
"hybrid," as being part road, part mtb. Seems to me the "hybrid" came first.

Belgium and the Netherlands have some neat handlebars on some of their
hybrids. These bars look more comfy than straight or riser bars and they're
called "butterfly bars" among other things. To see them surf to

http://www.bikemotion.nl/outside.php?id=6

look at the "Ixion" and "Argeon"

Doug
Toronto

"Art Winterbauer" wrote in message
When I visited Belgium and the Netherlands this summer, I noticed a number

of old-fashioned touring bikes. The ones I
saw looked like pre-WW2 style bikes with full fenders with lights mounted

on them, spring seats, and easy-to-reach
handlebars (upright style).

A Belgian friend said she thinks they are still being made, but didn't

know brand names or sources for them in the U.S.

Does anyone have info on where such bikes could be purchased in the U.S.?

I live in Colorado.

Thanks!

--Art