Old August 4th 03, 01:05 PM
Kevin

Default How to install shifter cable on Ultegra brake/shift lever?

1) Press the small lever on your shifter several times.
2) Open the quick release lever on your rear brake.
3) Squeeze the right brake lever, and look into the RIGHT side to see how

the shift cable seats.

Art,

Thanks for the reply. I tried looking at how the cable was seated using
basically the first three steps you mentioned. My cable snapped off inside
the lever assembly and its laying flush. Although I could see the cable
laying inside the unit I could never see the end of it, where the end of the
cable would seat. I may have to try rotating the inside part so I can see
where the cable seats?

Anyway, I'll give it another try tonight.

Thanks!

Kevin

1) Press the small lever on your shifter several times.

2) Open the quick release lever on your rear brake.

3) Squeeze the right brake lever, and look into the RIGHT side to see how
the shift cable seats.

"Harris" wrote in message
. net...

"Kevin" wrote:

My rear derailer shifter cable broke at the front lever on a long ride
today. I bought a new cable and I have no idea of how to install the

thing!

It's an
Ultegra brake/shifter lever. The shift cable inserts from the left side

as
you are sitting on the bike.

Actually, the new shift cable will be inserted from the right side side of
the lever.

See:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...ervice_pdf/6C8
0B.pdf

Or:

1) Press the small lever on your shifter several times.

2) Open the quick release lever on your rear brake.

3) Squeeze the right brake lever, and look into the RIGHT side to see how
the shift cable seats.

4) Push the broken cable through from the left while squeezing the brake
lever.

5) Push the new cable in from the right (route it through the shifter

cable
housing, down tube stop, under the BB, and through the rear stop and

housing
and into the derailler.

6) Note how the old cable is attached to the rear der, and attach the new
cable exactly the same.

Art Harris