Old August 5th 03, 10:56 PM
Boyd Speerschneider

Default Advice on buying used road bike

"Michael S. Moorhead" wrote in
:

Hello,

A friend and I have been taking longer and longer weekend rides on our
hybrid and mountain bikes and have been contemplating buying used road
bikes during the off-season.

When is the best time of year and where should we be looking for used
bikes?

I would say during the Fall / Winter.
This is when most bike stores and racers are trying to unload last year's
inventory.
Try www.eBay.com or www.roadbikereview.com.
Also rec.bicycles.marketplace
You could also try the LBSs in your area and scope the classified ads in
your local newspaper.

How old is old? Does quality fade off dramatically after 5 years or so?

Its not about age, but mileage.
If its been sitting in a garage for 5 years, than the only thing old is the
technology.
If its been ridden 50+ miles a day for 5 years, odds are (unless very well
cared for, worn out parts replaced, etc.) its *old*.

About what could one ask for ~$300?

That depends on how good of a bike wrench you are
$300 won't get you much... unless you enjoy wrenching a lot.
With road bikes, up until around $1200 you pretty much get what you pay
for.

I know these are very general questions, but your advice and any
suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Mike Moorhead

Your welcome,