Old August 6th 03, 04:52 AM
Tom Keats

Default Looking for recommendations for a set of grips (Comfort, shock absorption)

In article ,
(Sanjay Punjab) writes:
I have a trek 820 and frequently after my rides my wrists are killing
me.
I want to replace my stock grips with some better ones. Please
recommend a set of grips with superior comfort and most importantly
shock absorption.
My bike is used for communiting, not racing or off-roading.
thanks

There was a time when I, too, was beginning to suffer from
wrist pains. What worked for me was to rotate my brake
levers upward to between 8 o'clock and 9 o'clock.

The typical advice is to ride with 1 or 2 fingers kept
hooked around the brake levers. But now I just loosely
hook my thumbs under the grips and let all my fingers
rest lazily across the brake levers, so my hands almost
lie flat across the grips and levers. This way, there's
no clenching, so fatigue in the wrists is obviated. And
a looser grip means less transmission of shocks and bumps
from the bike to the wrists. Meanwhile, the brakes are
still readily at-hand.

One thing that kills wrists is slumping one's weight on them.
Gotta keep them perked up, like a typist or a pianist does.

cheers,
Tom