Old July 2nd 03, 05:33 AM
Daniel Connelly

Default Bicyclists: Help Pass AB1408

The key is to be predictable. One reasons standards exist is to increase
predictability. About the only way to be predictable riding counterflow,
given the convention of pro-flow riding, is to pull over to the side
of the road and unclip (becoming a pedestrian) when any oncoming traffic
is encountered.

Sometimes I do this. But it's really slow.

BTW, if you want to see what's behind you, use a mirror.

For runners, it seems, convention is less clear. 21956(a)
has enough exceptions that there are still common circumstances
where walking on the right would be legal, and in any case
the code specifies "walking" (is running walking?). Fast runners
are faster than slow cyclists. If a runner can assume vehicle-like
behavior, perhaps the right is even better place to be. The key is
to behave vehicularly -- no sudden turns, etc. Be predictable.

Dan

P.S. ref:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/wa...ion=ret rieve

Randall R Schulz wrote:
F1,

Such people have worse fortune than the typical cyclist. Collisions
from the rear are relatively less common than others.

Of course, any individual's past history of collisions from the rear
probably has little or no influence on subsequent encounters.

I find it more than a little ironic that so many cyclists ride
unsafely and illegally on the left while so many joggers run illegally
and unsafely on the right.

Randall Schulz

F1 wrote:

That is, unless you've been hit from behind...