Old July 20th 03, 03:57 PM
Dan Musicant

Default Water bottle you don't have to tip up

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:44:56 +0100, James Hodson
wrote:

:On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:32:35 GMT, Dan Musicant
wrote:
:
:You're talking about regular house-hold baking soda, right? Should I put
:a solution of that in the bottle and leave it overnight?
:
:There's one other problem with the bottle. For some reason, after
:twisting the top on, quite often the seal is lost and I have to reseal
:the bottle (twist the top on again). This is significant because lack of
:a good seal means the water doesn't shoot up the tube like it should
:when you squeeze the bottle. I really think this type of water bottle is
:optimal for a bicycle because:
:
:1) It's big (quart)
:2) You don't have to tip it up to drink from it
:
:AND
:
:I tried the baking soda and I think it worked. Left a solution in there
:for a few hours. Today, the taste wasn't noticeable. Maybe it will come
:back when the weather's hotter, don't know.
:
:Hi Dan
:
:Just the regular stuff. I usually just chuck a good-sized lump into
:the bottle, shake it up vigorously and lease the lot overnight. The
:following morning (or whenever) I rinse it out thoroughly with cold
:water. It can taste a little strange at first; if so, rinse a bit
:more.
:
:I have only tested this on bottles of metric size but I have no reason
:to believe it wouldn't work with imperial sized bottles ;-)
:
:I like the idea of not having to tip up the bottle in order to drink
:from it. For some reason - probably my lack or coordination - I make a
:real pig's ear of dring whilst on the move. At the very least i have
:to stop pedalling.
:
:Regarding the after-taste in hot weather; I've found that any
:noticable nasty taste only reappears if you wash the bottle again in
:too-hot water. Naturally, warm water doesn't taste partcularly nice
:... period.
:
:James

It appears I may be able to get along with this bottle after all, if
that baking soda solution is OK. Also, I may have a workaround for the
problem of the top coming loose. I think if I grip the bottle farther
down when I squeeeeeze out water, it won't cause the top to lose it's
grip. I do like this water bottle way more than all those tiping kind.
And I don't have to take all those dead on smashes like the goalies do.

Dan