Old May 17th 19, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Hills and Flats

On 16/05/2019 7:26 p.m., Andre Jute wrote:
snip

I define "victory" much like Tom appears to, as cycling adding to my fitness and longevity. But I'm not trying to build up either power or speed, I'm trying to build endurance. My entire riding area is hilly, so I have hills to work with. As a masher with a low cadence, I can use the Rohloff 14 speed hub gearbox on my everyday bike to change gears, or I can use the electric motor to fill in by either the throttle, the pedelec (assistance matched to my pedalling input, exactly the opposite of what I want on a hill where I want electric input as my pedal input declines), or one of the stepped programmes of assistance, nine in all of which I use 5 because that seems enough, or of course a combination of the Rohloff, the electronic programmes, and the throttle for fine tuning. Eventually it becomes second nature to fix your heart rate to the predetermined point and keep it relatively steady there.

snip

Same here for the most part. But I pay attention to power and speed as
benchmarks. I don't expect to race anyone anymore but I like the
progress as a motivator.