View Single Post
Old May 18th 19, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

Default How do you deal with wrong-way (direction wise) bicyclists?

On Fri, 17 May 2019 17:17:45 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 3:22:52 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 1:08:05 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
So there you are riding along the road minding your own business and enjoying your ride when some idiot on a bicycle riding the wrong way in your lane approaches. What do you do? Do you stop and let the idiot by? Do you cut to your right so the idiot has to go around you? Do you just hold your line and run the idiot down if they don't get out of your way?

Wrong direction riding bicyclists can be very disconcerting, even hazardous, to other bicyclists and moreso at night when they don't have either lights or reflectors as required by law. What's your favourite way of dealing with them?

Cheers

You don't call him an idiot. You pull out and take a lane and pass them. Lead by example rather than speech.

Interesting that a nearly 4 years old thread is resurrected. LOL

First, I don't yell at them calling them an idiot. I keep the term idiot in mind though.

Second. When faced with a suddenly appearing wrong direction riding bicyclist it's not always possible to pull over into the next lane as there is already traffic there.

I had one very close call when I came around a corner on a curve leading to a different road and as I was checking over my shoulder to be sure it was safe to merge into the single lane in my direction of travel a wrong direction riding bicyclist suddenly appeared in front of me. Fortunately I had good reflexes and brakes and was able to stop in time.

Another time in a city 40 miles from me I was traveling along a main road at about 25 MPH when a wrong direction riding bicyclist darted out of a one way street with a blind corner. I hit him broadside and totaled my frame although fortunately by putting my feet on the bottom bracket and pulling very hard on the front fork I was able to straighten it enough to limp home.

I DETEST wrong direction riding bicycling IDIOTS who endanger everyone else using the road and give decent bicyclists a bad name. YMMV

Cheers

Over here wrong way drivers/riders are so common that there is
actually a protocol for meeting one. The wrong way guy does toward the
center of the road and the right way guy goes towards the outer edge
of the road.

To be honest they are largely found on what might be called limited
access roads where to get a city block that-a-way you would have to
ride 2 km. the-other-way to find a "U" turn opening in the median
strip.
--
cheers,

John B.