Old May 24th 19, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Bottle holder

On Thu, 23 May 2019 06:58:59 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/23/2019 3:45 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

snip.

Goodness. Here is a thing that is literally riveted (which is why it
is called a "riv(et) nut") into the bike frame. You don't think it
will be water proof?

Rivnuts routinely become loose, even when installed at the factory. Some
sort of sealant, or paint, should be used to fill the gaps that will exist.

Hmm... I would suggest that you simply don't know what you are talking
about as I've worked on DC-3's that wee originally built in the 1930's
and there was no evidence of the de-icer boots, held on by rivnuts,
coming loose.

But of course, the de-icer boots would have been installed by
knowledgeable people not by some illiterate oaf that can't even
tighten a screw properly.
--

Cheers,

John B.