Old February 9th 08, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

Default Attitude of fellow cyclists

Paul Boyd wrote:

On 09/02/2008 18:27, said,
But give a nod to every
other cyclist be it shopper, granny or child.

Only if you give a nod and a wave to every other pedestrian when you're
walking, or to every other car driver when you're driving :-)

It just doesn't work like that. If I nodded to a little old lady on her
shopping bike, she would probably think she was about to be mugged. If
I nodded to a 6ft8in brick outhouse riding a BSO, I would probably end
up in hospital.

People just acknowledge other like-minded people. On my commuter run,
the regular people all acknowledge each other in some form, regardless
of the bike. I've never yet known an MTBer not to acknowledge another,
but roadies don't acknowledge anyone.

Around these parts, we're not only less violent (I've never known anyone
be scared of a wave, nor of someone who took it as an opportunity to
assault someone) but also roadies tend to acknowledge others.

Actually, that was the case when I lived in Manchester and in Southend.

Maybe you just live somewhere miserable.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire http://www.shrimper.org.uk