Old February 9th 08, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Attitude of fellow cyclists

On Feb 9, 6:54*pm, Paul Boyd wrote:
On 09/02/2008 18:27, said,

*But give a nod to every
other cyclist be it shopper, granny or child.

Only if you give a nod and a wave to every other pedestrian when you're
walking, or to every other car driver when you're driving :-)

It just doesn't work like that. *If I nodded to a little old lady on her
shopping bike, she would probably think she was about to be mugged. *If
I nodded to a 6ft8in brick outhouse riding a BSO, I would probably end
up in hospital.

People just acknowledge other like-minded people. *On my commuter run,
the regular people all acknowledge each other in some form, regardless
of the bike. *I've never yet known an MTBer not to acknowledge another,
but roadies don't acknowledge anyone. *I was mightily p'ed off last year
by a group of roadies coming the other way when I was on my MTB (on the
road!), when not one of them so much as looked my way in response to my
cheery "Morning!". *Miserable buggers!

--
Paul Boydhttp://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

You know its a sad society when a nod means, god I may be mugged. But
well I may be on cloud 9 but I dont see a problem with a wave, Ok in
my area (Lincolnshire) no sweat, but as Paul says why do roadies think
they are like the elite, a MTB rider may well outride them on a road
bike ! I am a roadie in summer I wave to anyone (Ok sad person)
but its like being friendly and part of a society. Paul, I have
experienced the same way as yours when on my MTB. WHY Like we are all
on two wheels after freedom , maybe like difference between 4x4 and
mini, who know's