Old December 1st 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default Remember to help out your fellow cyclists that use CO2 cartridges.

PatTX wrote:

You missed his point. He was saying, more or less "What do you do after you
use up all of your CO2 cartridges and then get another flat?" I carry CO2,
but I also carry a Topeak pump. It's the Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared!"

The guy did say to me 'I may have to rethink my strategy,' so there is
hope. I guess since I'm not into super-light, I never considered
carrying a pump a problem, even when I used the big old Zefal frame
pumps. I get flats so rarely (knock on wood) with the use of kevlar
belted tires, and/or anti-flat strips that I don't need to save 60
seconds inflating a tire with a pump versus CO2.

I remember riding in Russia on a tandem tour. I told everyone to get
decent tires for crappy roads, not racing tires, but of course some
people showed up with 700x19 tires. They were endlessly fixing flats. I
got one flat in 800 km on my 700x35 kevlar belted tires (somehow a thorn
came in from the side, bypassing the Mr. Tuffy). We were slower, due to
a heavier Trek tandem with heavier tires, but we more than made up for
it with fewer stops for repairs.