Old August 27th 03, 07:48 AM
Tlacatecatl

Default ? for folks using CO2 inflation cartridges

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:49:04 -0700, The Muncher wrote:

Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been riding for ~10+
years off and on (now on...). I've recently gotten into the CO2
cartridge thing, and I have been buying BB-gun CO2 cartridges instead
of the over-priced bike-specific ones (much, much cheaper). Was told
today by a local Performance bike shop worker that the BB gun ones (I
specifically have Crossman BB gun ones) have some oil in them, and
that it'll wear away the rubber innertubes eventually. Any truth to
this, or anyone have any experience with this? I've used several of
the BB ones no problem so far but...

I've never heard of this and haven't experienced such a problem. Butyl rubber
is more permeable to CO2 than to air, so tires inflated with a cartridge will
lose pressure faster. If I use a cartridge during a ride I make sure to
deflate it when I get back and pump it up again with air.

Tlacatecatl Tlacaxipe