Old January 15th 06, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Invisible Cyclists in Solstice Dark

The Wogster wrote:

I am against MHL's but I actually have a helmet, and use it when riding,
for a couple of reasons, one is that most people know what a bicycle
helmet is, and figure if your wearing one, your probably on a bicycle,
they can often see your head, even when the bicycle itself is not visible.

Interestingly I've come to the conclusion that a helmet is
counter-productive in your objectives. When I stopped wearing a helmet
a couple of years ago it was very noticeable that cars gave me more room
and more attention. I've come to the conclusion its because they
identify me as a person and a vulnerable one instead of a helmet and
protected

Try it yourself - its very difficult to identify or recognise someone
cycling with a helmet. You try to recognise them by their clothing and
helmet. If they are helmetless you can see their head and identify them
by their face which makes them human.

--
Tony

right."