Old February 24th 20, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Durability tests on the 13 most popular 11-speed chains

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 10:50:20 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 9:32:41 PM UTC, wrote:
I tried a KMC chain because it came pre lubed with my favorite wax lube.. This saved me the initial cleaning of the factory lube of the new chain. I was really disappointed about the durability of this chain. Won't use them anymore. Will stick to Ultegra and/or Campagnolo Record chains.

This is odd. KMC 8sp chains, in conjunction with a Chainglider to enclose the chain and running on the factory lube for the entire life of the chain plus steel chainrings to get rid of ground aluminium, nearly tripled the mileage I got on other chains, in particular the Shimano Nexus.

Andre Jute
YMMV

I can'T comment on that. It depends of course of the model and I compared the KMC chain with my Ultegra 11 speed and Record 11 speed chain experience.. Normally I am not hard on chains especially in this case. It was on my Aeroad which I only use in dry conditions (CF rims and rim brakes). With a Record chain I check the wear maybe once every season with a Shimano Ultegra chain I have to pay more attention but with the used KMC chain I was too late and ruined my cassette after 3500 km.
YMMV.

Lou