Old February 25th 20, 08:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Durability tests on the 13 most popular 11-speed chains

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 07:16:23 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 24/02/2020 23:46, wrote:
On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 10:50:20 PM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 9:32:41 PM UTC,
wrote:
I tried a KMC chain because it came pre lubed with my favorite
wax lube. This saved me the initial cleaning of the factory lube
of the new chain. I was really disappointed about the durability
of this chain. Won't use them anymore. Will stick to Ultegra
and/or Campagnolo Record chains.

This is odd. KMC 8sp chains, in conjunction with a Chainglider to
enclose the chain and running on the factory lube for the entire
life of the chain plus steel chainrings to get rid of ground
aluminium, nearly tripled the mileage I got on other chains, in
particular the Shimano Nexus.

Andre Jute YMMV

I can'T comment on that. It depends of course of the model and I
compared the KMC chain with my Ultegra 11 speed and Record 11 speed
chain experience. Normally I am not hard on chains especially in this
case. It was on my Aeroad which I only use in dry conditions (CF rims
and rim brakes). With a Record chain I check the wear maybe once
every season with a Shimano Ultegra chain I have to pay more
attention but with the used KMC chain I was too late and ruined my
cassette after 3500 km. YMMV.

In my experience the environment is the biggest factor in chain wear.
Dry miles only would at *least* double the life of my chains (I have one
DMO), a winter commute *eats* chains for breakfast, lunch and dinner :-(

And if you were to enclose your chain in a sealed and oil filled
"chain case" think how long it would last :-)
--
cheers,

John B.