Old October 14th 03, 11:58 PM
Doug Purdy

Default Cycling is dangerous

"Robert Chambers" wrote in message
potential dangers, you're asking for trouble. Also, I think anyone who

does
anything to discourage another rider from wearing a helmet ought to be
locked up.

It's this kind of hyperbole (and mandatory helmet laws in other
jurisdictions) that make me wear my helmet less than I would otherwise.
Around here you can rarely mention the word "bike" without someone getting
fanatical that anyone on a bike must wear a helmet.

They never say anything about lights or blowing stoplights and other
illegal, dangerous, manoeuvers. They are astounded when I say I wear my
helmet offroad where it's dangerous. If I raced I would wear a helmet then
too.

Why do the majority of riders ignoring stoplights wear helmets? Even riders
crossing busy 4 lane major arterials against the lights, they must be safe,
they're wearing helmets.

Brown is keeping it up now. The guy who built and maintained the site was
run over and killed a few weeks back.

IIRC the car crossed the street to hit him head on. This is more an argument
to stay away from all roads no matter what vehicle you use.

IMHO helmets are the last thing that needs to be made mandatory. Kids need
them when they are learning to ride on the sidewalk (a very dangerous place
to ride). People should wear them offroad and racing (other dangerous
places). A mandatory helmet law would address none of those high risk
occasions. It would continue to encourage this ubiquitous focus on helmets
to the exclusion of riskier behaviour.

Doug
Toronto