Old October 15th 03, 03:04 AM
Fred

Default Cycling is dangerous

"Garry Jones" wrote in message
How do you meet that remark in a constructive manner?

I am trying to answer an fairly active recreational cyclist who has made
this claim in the Swedish cycling newsgroup.

I don't think he is correct and I would like some facts and data that
back up my thoughts about this. The cyclist who posted this says he
always wears his helmet, even when cycling to the local store for some
bananas. He is an active sky diver, but does not wear his helmet then
because he has time to protect his head with his hands if necessary when
landing.

There are other posters than I am discussing things with who are in
favour of the proposed mandatory helmet law in Sweden.

Personly I think that cycling (with or without a helmet) is a safer long
term activity than playing computer games or watching TV, but now I want
some feedback from others.

I also feel that a mandatory helmet law would be a dangerous thing
because people would stop cycling.

Garry Jones
English Cyclist ResIDING in Sweden.

I think laws should be designed to protect people from other people not from
themselves. I'm against helmet laws philosophically. I'm not against
helmets, though, and wear one whenever I ride.

Fred