Old July 19th 19, 11:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Cleaning of chain and all components

AK wrote:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 5:54:16 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 13:11:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 5:39:48 AM UTC+2, AK wrote:
I spent about 3.5 hrs. cleaning my chain and everything it comes in contact with.

What a tedious job.

Used the following:

1. Engine cleaner
2. Paint thinner
3. Used toothbrush
4. Occasional foul language

I mentioned it to my friendly bike repair guy and he said many do not
realize the damage a dirty chain does to the bearings etc.

It shortens their life.

I think it helped as I think I can go around 3 mph faster.

Any other maintenance tips?

Thanks,
Andy

It always too soon to quit.

If you ride a 15 dollar chain and a 30 dolar cassette and you are not a
bike nerd like some of us don't do that again. Wipe your chain as clean
as possible with a rag before lubing. Lube regularly with whatever oily
stuff and ride the **** out of your chain until some gears starts to
skip. Then replace the chain and cassette. If you ride a 45 dollar
chain and a 200 dollar cassette pay attention to some of the advice you get.

Lou, my 2 cents.

If you aren't a "bike nerd" take the bike to the shop and let somebody
else do it :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Yeah right.

Pay him $25/hr X 3.5.

Andy

I use a Park chain cleaner tool. Clip on, fill with degreaser, run 30-40
crank strokes, change degreaser and repeat. Take a brush and clean the
cassette and cage with degreaser. Takes 10-15 minutes. Maybe 20 with a
beer in one hand. When dry lube the chain, run through the gears and wipe
off the chain.

The trick is to oil the chain sparingly between cleaning, wiping it before
to remove grit and after to remove excess oil. Takes another 5 minutes
and makes the cleaning a lot easier. Most people use too much oil and it
attracts grit.

I never tried wax but the people here recommending it sound like they know
what they’re talking about.

--
duane