Old July 19th 19, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Cleaning of chain and all components

On 18/07/2019 2:25 p.m., AK wrote:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 1:02:13 PM UTC-5, Bertrand wrote:
I spent about 3.5 hrs. cleaning my chain and everything it comes in contact with.

What a tedious job.

Used the following:

1. Engine cleaner
2. Paint thinner
3. Used toothbrush
4. Occasional foul language

I mentioned it to my friendly bike repair guy and he said many do not realize
the damage a dirty chain does to the bearings etc.

It shortens their life.

I think it helped as I think I can go around 3 mph faster.

Any other maintenance tips?

I wipe down the chain and derailleur pulleys after each ride, just back-pedaling
the chain through a rag. Only takes a few seconds, and keeps crud from building up.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I forgot to mention that I USED to use oil and Amzoil Synthetic Grease on my chain.

Andy

Grease?