Old February 4th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

Default Octalink BB: Dura-Ace 7700 or Ultegra 6500

On Feb 3, 12:41 pm, RS wrote:
I acquired an octalink Ritchey Compact crank I'm going to install on an
older Cannondale. I have both a DA-7700 BB and an Ultegra-6500 BB.
DA s about 65 grams lighter but I just cruise. The DA-7700 isn't sealed
as nicely as the Ultegra. Has anyone found the DA-7700 needs more
maintenance and period cleaning and regreasing? Or any other thoughts
on this. Thanks Rick

If weight's not a concern and you don't like tinkering or live in a
rainy area, use the Ultegra. The DA also requires a special tool.

Personally, I love my DA 7700 BBs, and on one bike I went two entire
seasons without an overhaul (maybe 10k miles). When I pulled it out
the bearing grease was clean. This is in So Cal with minimal wet
riding, so YMMV.