Old April 9th 19, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Hydraulic disc brake experience

Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 10:05:07 AM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

: The hydraulic pads self-adjust, which is a nice feature -- and there were times when I forgot to dial-in the pad on my cable front brake and had some scary moments on the sled-runs on my commute route. That was my own fault.

:Since I've done only short rides, not any great distances on a disc brake bike
cable or hydraulic): How often do you have to "dial-in" your cable disc
:brakes?

Depends on pad wear. When I had a mechanical caliper on the front
wheel of my commuter, I'd have to adjust five or six times per set of
pads. (and probably should have done so a bit more.) In winter,
riding in Chicago's lovely slush and grit, that was every couple
weeks. In the summer, a lot less. I put a lot more miles on in the
summer over winter, too. Mountain bikers in nasty gritty mud can ruin
a set of pads on a single ride, and have to adjust their brakes on the
trail; other places, where the mud is slipperier and not as gritty,
they'll last months.

--
sig 9