Old April 10th 19, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Hydraulic disc brake experience

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 12:35:39 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
My first set of modern IS conforming disc brakes (Hayes MX1) burned the pads all the way to their backings in less than 20 miles of central Seattle city riding. The fully metallic EBC replacement pads lasted for more than 10 years (though the bike was not my primary ride for the entirety of that time).

I guess this is to say there may be some variation in wear rate.

I was riding my CX bike off-road and burned a set of disk pads in perhaps 100 miles or less. I also burned a front disk into a grooved blackened thing.. I replaced the steel plate with AL and was more careful and everything seems to work well. But then I am not riding anywhere near as hard as I was.

Yesterday I did the first Moraga Ride since October! Door to door for my part is 37 miles and 3,300 feet of climbing. I was pretty damn slow and the Tierra Bella metric I'm riding is Saturday. I hope to be able to complete it if I ride carefully. The last time I rode it I made the mistake of riding the final 5 miles at 28 mph. That put me into almost a haze. I couldn't even find my car in the lot.