Old August 24th 09, 02:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
ComandanteBanana

Default Why do people really hate cyclists?

On Aug 23, 9:06*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Tom Sherman °_°" wrote in ...

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
*Mark Cleary wrote:

ComandanteBanana wrote:

snip the usual drivel

So what is your point?

ComandanteBanana is a troll and his point is to get people to pay
attention to him.

I disagree. ComandanteBanana's goal is to scare people away from cycling.

CB is like a child whose brain has been scrambled because some motorists
honk at him, give him the finger, or otherwise disturb the tranquility of
his days. Every insult he has received from motorists is common to all
cyclists. Why he should making a fuss about it is the one and only mystery.

No, my friend, that's NOT the only mystery. The greates mystery is the
CRIMINAL MIND...

Ah, the mysteries of the criminal mind. Why is OK to hurt and kill
people? Is it SELFISHNESS that isolates them from the subject, is it
SADISM that gives them a kick, is it SUPERIORITY that makes them treat
other perceived inferior as object of their power games? We may never
know what makes this or that driver kick, but we can sure be ready for
the Charles Manson's of the road...

Of all places this comment is centered in London, but I'm sure there
are worst scenarios out there (mine to begin with). Hey, there's a
MORAL CHOICE drivers can make while sitting in that throne.

Why do people really hate cyclists?

"But why do some people seem to hate anyone on a bike? yes, some do go
through red lights. But I have also seen plenty of cars go through red
lights. A cyclist is more likely to hurt himself than anyone else –
but it doesn’t make it right and I don’t do it.

All road users have a duty of care towards each other – and especially
those in front of you. No one owns the road. Sure cycling two abreast
is legal but I wouldn’t in London, that is just courtesy. But neither
should drivers knock so many single cyclists over or block cycle lanes
where we have them. I gave up counting how many times I’ve seen cars
cut in, to turn left in front of me and others to save milliseconds
from a trip.

It must be that the root cause of this is the frustration that most
drivers feel stuck in traffic. I have felt it too, I drive but not as
much as I used to. Seeing someone getting where they want to, with
less effort, stress, cost and at a predictable rate is frustrating
especially if your late or need the loo. The anger can rise when
someone glides past, through heavy traffic off into the sucset (or
sunrise). I have been in both positions, like so many people who ride
to work.

Instead of getting angry, why not get a bike? Most cyclists don’t feel
smug – they just made the choice to leave the car at home and avoid
overcrowded public transport.

And remember, those are people, not cyclists. They have families,
mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, brothers and sisters – so try not
to kill us."

http://ragtag.wordpress.com/2008/01/...hate-cyclists/