Old August 19th 03, 06:44 PM
John Everett

Default When is the best time to teach a child to ride a two wheeler

On 19 Aug 2003 11:18:00 GMT, (Papayahed1) wrote:

The last thing you're partner should do is try to "teach" him to balance when
he is neurologically not ready yet. I'm sure there must be some kids out there
who are ready at age 3 (I've never seen them tho), but most kids are motivated
and able to accomplish this at age 5 or so.

My younger son taught himself to ride when he was three years old. He
had a little fixed gear bike with solid rubber tires and training
wheels, a bike we bought because he wanted a bike "like his big
brother's". I was away on a business trip and when I got back he was
riding it. Seems his big brother removed the training wheels while I
was away and he just figured it out himself.

I think one key to his success was that the bike was really tiny. He
could put a foot down any time he felt unsteady.

Up until that time I had never heard of a three year old who could
ride a bike.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3