Old August 20th 03, 03:09 AM
Peter

Default When is the best time to teach a child to ride a two wheeler

Chuck Anderson wrote:
one of the six billion wrote:

I've seen 3 1/2 yr olds ride a bike without training wheels. Most
usually
kids learn between 4 and 7. A really good way to teach a child to
balance
on a bike is to take the pedals off and lower the seat so that both feet
can touch flat on the ground. Let them scoot around using their feet on
the ground.

I have heard this before, but never hear anyway attest to its
effectiveness.

Does it really work?

It's what I did to teach our daughter when she turned 4. Took her and the
bike to our workplace parking lot on a weekend (big expanse of pavement
with very gently slope and no traffic), took the pedals off and lowered the
seat so she could coast and scoot around without fear of falling. After
less than an hour I put the pedals back on and she was off and riding. No
falls, no scrapes, and no need to run alongside.

If only teaching her to drive had gone as smoothly.