Old May 4th 05, 09:10 PM
George Sproat

I'm done a couple of short stretches of the northern section.

I did the bit between Alston and Haltwistle on Monday which was glorious
after climbing up from Whitfield in a headwind accompanied by the howl of
motorcycles as their riders enjoyed a bank holiday thrash. The views across
the valley bathed in sunshine made up for having to stop occasionally to
open gates. Watch out for the sharp little climb just after Barhaugh Hall,
before Slaggyford, it caught me out and I had to push, just a few yards
though. There was a new surface on the old rail bed between Featherstone and
Haltwistle and the surface between Slaggyford and Lambley was ok but between
Lambley and Featherstone its not so good, being covered in grass with a
narrow muddy track down the middle. Lots of walkers out for a stroll taking
advantage of the good weather. Any way I had an excellent day, the views are
fantastic once I was out of the headwind.

A couple of weeks ago I did the forest section between Twice Brewed and
Whygate. I was abit apprehensive having read reports about the road being
very rough through the forest but I managed OK only having to dismount twice
due to the surface and riding on 23mm tyres. A feeling of loneliness and the
thought of a very long walk back ensured that sufficent care was exercised.
Deer ran across the the track in front of me more than once and there was
numerous rabbits. Although I enjoyed the tranquility I was glad to reach
Whygate with the bike in one piece and then on to home in Hexham.

I would like to do the whole route but this year we intend to do the Coast
and Castles route from Newcastle to Edinburgh in July. So the Pennine
Cycleway will have to wait.

Geo

"vernon levy" wrote in message
I'm girding my loins for the first spell of cycle camping this year and am
considering doing some of the Pennine Cycleway at the end of May start of
June. I am considering the North section from Appleby to Berwick or The
South Pennine section from Holmfirth to Appleby. Has anyone ridden all or
part of the routes? Any observations about their nature in therms of
enjoyment and scenery not to mention arduousness.

Cheers

Vernon
in Leeds