Old November 8th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary

Default my ride today

In my 30 years of running and 12 marathons I know how far I have run. It
is not all that important but simply wearing a watch I can figure my
distance in a 7-10 mile run and not be off more than 100 yards. I do
like to just go out an and run but I still keep a log and write
distance, time and a few notes. My conditioning is fine but I don't run
as fast by far as I did 16 years ago. I still have plenty of distance
ability but I need more rest in between and I recover slower. I still
like to go out once in a while an really push a run for 6-10 miles and I
think that mentality is when I bike. May times running we hold back to
recover or run the last 1/2 faster than the first. As runner who never
had great speed I won't be riding a bike at any great speed but I find
the sports very similar with regard to training if you do it seriously.
This does no mean marathon champs will be winning the tour de france but
I guess they could do well on a bike just like great cyclist can usually
run fine. It has nothing do with racing as such I have not run a race in
3 or 4 years but still run seriously I don't call it training at all I
just run.

Mark Cleary plays Hollenbeck Jazz Guitars
Handmade http://hollenbeckguitar.com/

Still Just Me wrote:
On 07 Nov 2008 03:04:35 GMT, wrote:

Forget about the MPH and ride whatever pace is comfortable, even if
you push hard enough to be out of breath now and then. Sure, when I
was "young and beautiful", I also rode 25 mile TT's at close to one
hour, so what, I don't do that anymore but I ride the same long scenic
rides I did with my racing pals back then and enjoy them.

My philosophy too. If I'm out for exercise, I just push as hard as I
can for the whole ride and that's that. I have a rough idea how far I
am go but I don't really care all that much. The amount of time I
spend riding is more important.

I do the same when I run - rough idea of how far I go, but no exact
measure and I don't check to see when I leave or return.

Still, I continually improve my condition.