Old February 29th 04, 11:59 PM
Howard

Default Double hit& run on a cyclist

Beware the deviation amplification spiral that leads to moral panics(1).
More reporting of an issue doesn't mean it's more common.

Hit and run offences, especially where the victim is a cyclist, have
always been endemic. There is nothing new about drivers ignoring
cyclists lying injured in the middle of the road either. One middle
aged lady contacted me about I campaign I was/am running to get a
level crossing improved. She came off on some dangerously out of level
rails and was more upset by the fact that motorists drove around her,
many blowing their horns at her, then the injuries she received...

Nationally, the current level of 'hit and runs' is around 14% and
rising - up almost 4%in the last year. In some areas such as
Manchester and Liverpool the 'hit an run' rate is now approaching
50%...

Look at http;//motorcarnage.org.uk/motorcarnage/current.html

and count how mnay times 'hit and run' drink driving, drugs use,
driving whilst disqualified and 'excessive speed' come up. Also look
how many pedestrians are killed by hit and run drivers - it's
important to keep a sense of perspective as to where the real problems
lie.

What we need is blanket coverage of the country with speed cameras,
using the revenue raised to pay for traffic officers. No whining - the
current cameras were brought in largely because the motor lobby called
for them on the basis you if you missed a high visibility camera you
were probabaly driving without due attention and deserved a fine. They
seem to have conveniently forgotten about that now though...
(No whining either about siteing cameras around corners. You are
supposed to be able to STOP in the distance you can see to be clear
for gawds sake...).