Old April 13th 18, 09:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Ebikes

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 14:11:22 -0000 (UTC)
news18 wrote:
On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 11:05:42 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

If it isn't stamped with the appropriate certificate marks, the plod can
require you to take it and get it tested, else confiscate it until it is
tested.

So you stamp it. Hint, those links say it must meet a European Enbike
standard, it doesn't say it has to be one, aka EU commercial product.

As I know from a motorcycle standard kerfuffle a few years ago, if
there is a crackdown they'll want commercial stamping. If there isn't
then it's all moot really.

From the RMS's vehicle standard PDF

"The vehicle must be certified by the manufacturer, and labelled as
complying with EN 15194. The label must include the manufacturer’s
name, the motor’s cut-off speed in km/h and its continuous rated power
in watts."

"ON-ROAD ENFORCEMENT
Police carrying out on-road enforcement may ask the owner and/or user of
a power-assisted pedal cycle to provide evidence that the power output
does not exceed the applicable limit. If that evidence is not readily
available, such as from the compliance label, it may be necessary to
test the vehicle on a certified dynamometer (‘dyno’) to determine
the maximum power output of its motor/s. "

Sure, you can create a label. You could probably create a fairly good
looking one and that would work.

It's still illegal if the bike provides more power than 250W sustained
when pedalling and 200W throttle only.

And you haven't provided any. Because there isn't any. If you think
there is, then provide links to same.

What PLOD will be looking at is sustained speed above 25kms per hour on
the flat. That was in one of your links. So you don't use power assist to
speed along and Plod wont get suspicious. Plod really just looks that
your wearing a helment. Now that ICE assist is banned, it is the major
reason for pulling bicycle riders over.

It is always possible to avoid police. And it is always possible to
use illegal equipment and have a good chance of getting away with it.

However the question was not "can I do something illegal and get away
with it" the question was "what is legal".

I have heard but can't verify that a motor rated at more than 250W can
be restricted by the manufacturer to 250 continuous but have more
torque so shift more weight faster up to the rated speed.

I expect that at some point soonish some twonk on an e-bike, hotted up
or no, will kill a ped on a shared path, or illegally riding on a
footpath. It will be a slow news day and the shockjocks will need a
bogeyman to howl about. Else the RMS will be getting heat to do more
bicycle work and will want to fight back because they hate anything
that isn't cars.

Either way there will be an ebike focused operation. Probably CBD
and surround focused as that's the target rich environment but it will
happen.

Zebee